Leaflets issue fire warning
August 11, 2010 by Michael
Print companies in Southampton put their services to good use by printing essential information leaflets for the Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service following a recent fire at a Southampton block of high rise flats. A stray cigarette was thrown from a tower block in Copenhagen Towers, Weston, Southampton on a day early in August, setting fire to some netting on a balcony lower down. Fire crews were called to the block of flats but fortunately, the residents had managed to contain the fire by that point but it was felt that the situation could have been a lot more serious if it had spread.
Fire services now want to issue a severe warning to residents in high rise flats regarding discarding cigarettes. Earlier this year, fire fighters lost their lives tackling a blaze at Shirley Towers and Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service want to continue to campaign for safety in tower blocks. Leaflets will be distributed by crews to the county’s high rise flats and their residents giving people information as to what to do in case of fire. In the case of cigarettes, fire crews are warning that it is essential to make sure that they are properly extinguished, even in a small bowl of water, to ensure that they cannot cause a serious fire. The leaflets provide other important pieces of information including what to do when there is a fire in another part of the flat building, when not to use the lift and what to do if there is a lot of smoke in your flat building.